What does that mean you ask?
I have been inspired by Sarah at Dolly Donations to start a dolly drive of my own. At the end of March she posted this call to action Doll Drive For The Children of Japan that just broke my heart. I have been searching for a partner and a contact on the ground in Japan since reading that posting and just last week a connection was made to make it happen.
Curious Lottie's will be partnering with Icebox Knitting and Sunriver, Inc. of Japan to send handmade dollies to children in Sendai and the surrounding area. I will be collecting the dolls here in Colorado and Icebox has generously offered to help send them to Japan. Sunriver will distribute the dolls to the children most effected by this terrible disaster.
What you need to know to participate:
- The dolly drive starts today! Yippie! And Ends July 16th, 2011 (tentatively). We'll ship the dolls within the week following the deadline. Any dolls that show up after we've shipped will be donated to a local police department to be given to children involved in domestic disturbances.
- Make a doll or soft toy. Sarah has lots of different patterns -- use the simple doll pattern on the Dolly Donations website or any other you find. It doesn't matter if it's a doll or a squirrell: sewn, crocheted, knitted. Make just one or make a whole family. The more we make, the more children that will get a cheerful surprise.
- Send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the shipping address.
- Tell your friends. Commission a seamstress. Shout it in the streets. Post it and repost it on Facebook and Twitter and on your own blogs.
- I will post pictures of dolls as they arrive -- please include a note with either your first name and location or anonymous and location in the box with the dolls for blog posting.
Please stop over and check out the Dolly Donations blog. Sarah does a fantastic job and is an endless resource for creative dolly-ing!