Monday, May 9, 2011

Dolly Donation for Children of Japan

So here's my big announcement, my reason for becoming a blogger today....I'm starting a dolly drive for children effected by the Earthquake and subsequent Tsunami in Japan.


What does that mean you ask? 

I have been inspired by Sarah at Dolly Donations to start a dolly drive of my own.  At the end of March she posted this call to action Doll Drive For The Children of Japan that just broke my heart.  I have been searching for a partner and a contact on the ground in Japan since reading that posting and just last week a connection was made to make it happen.

Curious Lottie's will be partnering with Icebox Knitting and Sunriver, Inc. of Japan to send handmade dollies to children in Sendai and the surrounding area.  I will be collecting the dolls here in Colorado and Icebox has generously offered to help send them to Japan.  Sunriver will distribute the dolls to the children most effected by this terrible disaster.

What you need to know to participate:
  • The dolly drive starts today!  Yippie!  And Ends July 16th, 2011 (tentatively).  We'll ship the dolls within the week following the deadline. Any dolls that show up after we've shipped will be donated to a local police department to be given to children involved in domestic disturbances.
  • Make a doll or soft toy.  Sarah has lots of different patterns -- use the simple doll pattern on the Dolly Donations website or any other you find.  It doesn't matter if it's a doll or a squirrell: sewn, crocheted, knitted.  Make just one or make a whole family.  The more we make, the more children that will get a cheerful surprise.
  • Tell your friends.  Commission a seamstress.  Shout it in the streets.  Post it and repost it on Facebook and Twitter and on your own blogs.
  • I will post pictures of dolls as they arrive -- please include a note with either your first name and location or anonymous and location in the box with the dolls for blog posting.
Good Luck making...makers!  Love to you........B. 
Please stop over and check out the Dolly Donations blog.  Sarah does a fantastic job and is an endless resource for creative dolly-ing!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new blog!

    I will update the Dolly Donations site with your new end date :)

    Fingers x-ed we get lots and lots of lovely dollies and softies!

    Take care and Happy Sewing!

    Sarah
    Dolly Donations: Sending Love, 1 Dolly at a Time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I'm sharing this on Facebook and will try to get a group together to make some dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Neko Noir, I've been alerted to this great plan. I'll be digging out my Japanese-inspired fabrics and getting ready for a dolly sewing day with Neko Noir and other area crafters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Happy to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on Facebook and I would definitely like to participate!

    ReplyDelete